If you live in the Chicagoland area, you might have heard of Meatheads. I had been there once or twice before but didn’t realize the lengths Meatheads goes to take care of their customers and involve kids every step of the way.
Have you ever taken your kids to a restaurant (quick dine) and it was impossible to navigate? Any of these scenarios ring a bell?
- You try to get in the door but your double stroller gets wedged in the doorway OR the door smacks you on the butt on the way in
- You don’t know how to go get your food after it is ready- do you leave the kids at the table, or bring the whole crew with you up to the counter?
- The kids are STARVING and looking to cause mayhem until the food arrives
- Your squirmy toddler won’t sit in his seat and you are terrified he will tip over his booster seat and crack his head open and/or become an uninvited guest at some else’s lunch date
- The restaurant is dead silent except for the whining and screaming of your companions
- You have to buy a ten dollar meal that consists of horribly non nutritious food plus pay $3 for milk (if it is even available)
Whoops, sorry, did I completely discourage you for going to lunch with your kids again? Luckily, Meatheads has thought of everything to make it easier for families to grab a pleasant (yes, it is possible!) lunch.
- They rush to open the door for parents with strollers/kids (it is their policy)
- They will happily bring the food to your table if you ask
- They have these cool Twisty Twigs at the table for kids to play with (you remember Wikki Sticks? I even brought them to the doctor’s office yesterday and they were a lifesaver)
- They have curved booths specially designed for an adult to sit at one end and another to cap off the other end so your kids are TRAPPED!
- The music? It is selected for families, and they researched the perfect level to cover up your kids’ rants
- Kids meals are $5.50 and you have the option of fries, veggies or applesauce; includes soft drink (OR organic milk for an extra $1). All ingredients are fresh, never-frozen.
If this wasn’t enough, Meatheads has developed an incredible literacy program that ALL local kids should take advantage of- their Voracious Readers Program (download and print your certificate here):
- They reward kids who read 5 books over the summer with a Lil’ Meathead burger
- They have free story time AND my friend Beth Engelman of Mommy On A Shoestring is hosting story and craft time at select locations throughout the summer
- 10% of sales from the Goulden Burger (created in honor of Bears kicker Robbie Gould and his public charity, The Goulden Touch) goes to support literacy in Chicago to help prevent the “summer slide”
|Bryson, reading at the Meadheads lunch|
Little athlete in the family? Make sure your kids’ sports team knows about the Meathead of the Month program! This isn’t just for the superstar MVP, it is for kids who work hard….check out the bottom of the web page in this link to sign up your team!
Meatheads celebrates young athletes in organized sports who choose to participate in real games, rather than play video games.
- Any child is eligible – after each game, coaches select the player
who best displayed Determination, Hustle & Hard Work and award them
their Meathead of the Game certificate
- Each “Meathead of the Game” award certificate is good for (1) free little meatheads burger
- We’ll provide all pre-printed award certificates
And last, need money for your school, club, team or not-for-profit? Sign up for a Meatheads Fundraiser!
Final word- I had their burger (and being from Michigan, the land of grilling out, I consider myself a burger expert) and IT. WAS. AMAZING. Not greasy at all, amazing fresh toppings, AND they have chicken and salads for those of you who are into lighter fare!
AND THE GIVEAWAY!!! Meatheads is giving away a $25 gift card for one lucky reader of mine (yes, just my reader- this isn’t a 500 blog giveaway for just one card so your chances are awesome).
How to enter– like this post on either my personal FB page or my blog FB page, leave a comment on FB or on the post, or share the post. That’s it- you entered! I will pick a winner at random on July 4th, because what says America more than burgers? Everyone is welcome to enter, but keep in mind Meatheads in only in the Chicagoland area (for now). I don’t love the “enter five million times for one shot” type of giveaways. If you want to follow Meatheads on Twitter or Facebook because they are awesome here are there links:
|Charlotte, listening intently to Beth Engelman talk!|
Disclosure: I was provided with a Meatheads gift card and B&N gift card as a thank you for attending a lunch, as well as a free lunch for my kids and I for review purposes. All opinions are honest and my own (as always).
Funny – I'd never heard of Meatheads, but we drove past one in Lincolnshire this past weekend and I told my husband we had to go! We don't have kids, but based on your review I'm looking forward to checking it out!
Totally great for everyone! There were a lot of "business-types doing lunch" at the Northbrook location in addition to groups of girls, couples, families, you name it. I love a good burger, and knowing that it is 100% certified angus beef as opposed to the non-meat that Jamie Oliver uncovered at an unnamed restaurant, I am 100% in 🙂 Also, love toppings like applewood bacon, avocado, grilled onions, bleu cheese crumbles and sauteed mushrooms!
love your blog Cheryl and love how being from MI makes you a burger pro! xo
THANK you so much!! Of course, burgers were a staple growing up in my household so I definitely know a good burger 😉
AND the winner is Erin Harris! Congrats and enjoy an awesome family meal 🙂