At one of my baby showers- the one thrown by my best girlfriends and included mimosas (faux-mosa for me) and manicures, the manager of the salon told me that his grandmother's fashion philosophy was this: If you are old enough for a trend to come back around, you are too old to wear it again. Sigh. I get it now.
You are never too old to adapt a trend to your current style. Velvet, we shall meet again, but never in a low rise boot cut pant that has no stretch.
Today's velvet is full of stretch, shows up in unexpected places like shoes and bags, and is available in every price range. Here are my Fall 2017 Velvet Tips:
- Avoid anything in the mini dress or skirt range; it looks cheap while a midi looks rich and elegant.
- One item per outfit- no velvet shoes + velvet skirt + velvet bag. Mixing up textures and weights gives an outfit dimension.
- Vintage velvet doesn't usually have a lot of stretch, so make sure it fits well or go with a bag or a hat instead.
- You can't go wrong with black or jewel tones.
- DIY a hair accessory witha velvet ribbon from a craft store- grab a length and tie it around a ponytail, leaving ends dangling.