For The Kid In You- Homemade Spaghetti O's
Cue a super easy recipe that tastes almost better than the real thing.
Homemade Spaghetti O's
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 32 ounce vegetable broth
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 pound pasta- I used little O's, but you can use crushed up whole wheat or veggie pasta like rotini
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat EVOO over medium heat in a large pot, then add onion and carrot. Cook to soften about 5-7 min- the onion cooked faster than the carrot for me, so next time I would add the carrot first.
- Add vegetable broth and tomatoes; cover and bring to boil.
- Drop in the butter and puree with an immersion blender until smooth (if you don't have this amazing little tool, I am guessing you could put the concoction into a regular blender but not sure how the heat would treat it).
- Dump in the pasta and cook until al dente, basically according to package directions.
- Season with salt & pepper and add a cup or two of water to thin it down. The pasta will continue to absorb water.